Welcome to Willow Class

Dear Parents

Re: Willow Class Curriculum for Autumn term 2019

A huge welcome into Willow Class and your child’s life at our school.
Below lists some of the answers to questions you may have. I am more than happy to have yourself as a parent coming into school in the morning to settle your Year R child between 8.40-8.55am. We strongly encourage you to say your goodbyes at the school gate after a few weeks in order to develop independence in your child. Year 1 children should be entering school independently.
Please ensure all school uniform including P.E kit and Wellies are named and this is checked throughout the school year. Also ensuring the school waterbottle provided is in school daily. Replacements are available from the school office for a nominal fee.
I will be providing milk and a fruit snack in the morning of the school day throughout the year and in the afternoon up until the end of the first term.

Topic work
I am writing with regards to the curriculum I have planned for your child this term. Year R’s topics begin with ‘All about me’ and ‘Being Healthy’ followed later in the term by ‘People who help us’ which link with some aspects of Year 1 and encompass the discrete teaching of Phonics, Handwriting, Maths, PE, RE and reading which is taught throughout year R and 1 on a one-to-one basis with your child alongside yourselves at home.

Topic learning in Year 1 will encompass aspects of geography and science, ‘The Human Body’ and ‘Seasons’ will be explored in the first part of term. Later in the term, I have planned for the children to learn about ‘Local place knowledge’. Alongside all of this will be the discrete teaching of Maths, Handwriting, Phonics, Reading, PE, RE and Music which will be planned and taught by myself or a specialist colleague.

Homework
Homework in Willow Class is an opportunity for you and your child to consolidate what they have been taught in school. This involves reading to your child as much as possible (bed time is enjoyable) as well as your child reading their reading books to you, alongside the use of the sound and word wallets they receive in Year R and will need to continue use of into year 1. The school has purchased ‘Mathletics’ which is a web based maths program for use from Year R to 6 for the children to practice maths skills via games in a fun way. I will observe how your child is progressing and new parents will receive the login in due time. Alongside this is a similar online program for the practice and consolidation of phonic knowledge for use at home also. I believe the games are tablet friendly. I will intermittently inform you of our current learning objectives by way of a Friday home time sticker that lets you know how you may help with this at home.

Contact
Before registration it is very busy with preparations for lessons and supervision of the children so I would appreciate any communication to be done through the school office, who will, of course, arrange supervision for the children should the matter be urgent. Otherwise, I am usually available at the end of each day for a quick informal chat or if a more formal discussion is needed then please make an appointment through the school office.

Yours sincerely
Mrs Ridley